Thank you for visiting our list of the most Frequently Asked Questions. Below you'll find answers to the questions we receive most often. If you can't find an answer to your question, feel free to contact us. 

    I'm active duty. Am I eligible for membership in the VFW?

    Whether you're active-duty or retired from the military, you are eligible to join if you meet our eligibility requirements.


    Can the VFW assist me with my VA claim?

    Yes. VFW Accredited Service Officers are trained professionals, skilled in navigating the complex VA claims process and helping veterans to recover billions in VA benefits and compensation each year. Whether you're just preparing to file a claim or considering filing an appeal to your disability rating, find a VFW accredited service officer in your area to get the assistance you've earned - free of charge. And you don't have to be a member to take advantage of this service.


    How do I make a donation to the VFW?

    There are several ways you can donate to the VFW to help America’s veterans.


    What programs and services does the VFW provide?

    Since its founding in 1899, the VFW has enacted many programs and services geared to meet  the current needs of America's service members, veterans and military families, as well to meet community needs worldwide. VA claims assistance, legislative advocacy, troop support programs, youth activities, community service and scholarship are a few of the ways we work to give back to those who've given so much for all of us. 


    How do I get copies of my military records, such as a DD-214?

    You can contact the National Personnel Records Center at 314.801.0800 or via its website. In addition to providing copies of military records, they are able to update records to correct errors or reflect awards that may have been issued retroactively.


    Does the VFW endorse political candidates or any individuals running for public office?

    No. The VFW's congressional charter prohibits the organization from endorsing or otherwise supporting political candidates or any individual running for a public office position.


    How can I donate a vehicle to a veteran or military family?

    The VFW Foundation accepts vehicle donations which provide funds that support a variety of VFW programs and services for service members, veterans and their families. It’s a simple and easy process and your vehicle donation is tax deductible. While the VFW Foundation does not provide the vehicles directly, your donation makes a positive difference in the lives of America’s heroes.


    How do I update my donor information or remove my name from your solicitation mailing list?

    In order to update your donor information, or have your name removed from our solicitation mailing list, please contact our Donor Services Department by email or phone at: 816.756.3390, ext. 7108.


    How much of my donation goes to support veterans?

    The VFW operates as an independent, nonprofit organization and therefore relies on the generosity of patriotic Americans — like you — to ensure we’re able to provide much-needed support to those who deserve it most. Over the last decade, 66% of each dollar of support received from VFW members and patriotic Americans was applied directly to veterans service, community service, legislative advocacy and military service programs worldwide. See how your support matters to the VFW.


    I am not a veteran of foreign conflict, but I have a family member who is. Can I join the VFW based on their service?

    You must be a veteran who has honorably served overseas in an area of foreign conflict in order to join the VFW. However, if you are not eligible for VFW membership but are the parent, grandparent, spouse, sibling, child or grandchild of a qualifying veteran, you can apply for membership in the VFW Auxiliary. Visit the VFW Auxiliary website or call 816.561.8655 for more information.


    I served in Korea before the Korea Defense Service Medal was established in 2004. How can I verify that service?

    You can contact the National Personnel Records Center and they will be able to issue a DD-215 showing receipt of the Korea Defense Service Medal. In the meantime, any sort of travel orders or military documentation showing your service in Korea for at least 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days will suffice as proof of eligibility for VFW membership.


    I think that I may have been issued Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger Pay, but I don't have copies of my pay records. How can I obtain them?

    You can contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for copies of your Leave and Earnings Statements (LES) or they can direct you to your service-specific finance office for those records.


    How do I request permission to use the VFW name or logo?

    To request permission to use the VFW’s name, logo or marks for print or commercial purposes, please submit a completed authorization request form to the VFW Quartermaster General’s office or email qmgeneral@vfw.org for additional information. 


    How can my organization or business partner with the VFW?

    The VFW is always looking to develop strategic relationships with companies and organizations that work to enhance the impact of VFW programs and services directed toward service members, veterans and their families. By aligning with the VFW, you will be associated with our nationally recognizable brand and our more than 1.5 million VFW and Auxiliary members, plus their family members. If your organization or company is interested in working with the VFW, please complete our VFW Collaborative Relationship Proposal form here


    I’m not a member of VFW, but I would like to receive the magazine. Do you have non-member subscriptions?

    Yes. You are welcome to subscribe to VFW magazine for only $15 per year (10 issues). Simply view and print the subscription form.


    I am interested in writing an article for VFW magazine. What do I need to do to submit the article?

    If you are a freelance writer wishing to write a feature for the magazine, please carefully read and review our guidelines before making a submission.


    Why does the VFW send gifts to donors?

    We include token gifts in our mailings because experience has shown us that our donors appreciate, and even look forward to receiving these gifts. The VFW is not a government agency and receives no federal financial support; we depend primarily on the generosity of patriotic supporters. The items included in our mailings are inexpensive to produce, and help us to raise more money than if we did not include them in our mailings. Since our goal is to help as many veterans each year as possible, we must continue to mail packages that raise the highest amount of donations to be used toward our support programs.


Subscription dues are just like a magazine subscription. It gives you 365 days of membership in the VFW. With this being the first year that they are coming into effect it will be a process that we are not use to. The basic breakdown of what is going to happen is:

If you are an annual member and you pay your dues before Jan your expiration will be Jan 2015. If you pay after that date whatever day your dues are processed at National will be the new expiration date. Example would be that you send in your dues to National on 1 Feb 2015 and National processed them on the 15 Feb. Your new expiration date would be 15 Feb 2016.

Annual membership Dues $39 and due on the anniversary of the date you joined the VFW or the date of annual renewal.

Student Vet's Annual membership is $20.

County  V A Representative is a member of our Post.
Please contact our Post, during office hours, to set up an appointment.